I am currently reading "Robopocalypse", by Daniel H. Wilson, a very gruesome Sci-Fi novel. This book is about, you guessed it, a robot apocalypse. There does seem to be a main character, but at the moment, however, he is not the protagonist. "How?", might you ask? Well, let me explain.
For about the first half of this book, every chapter is a different story having to do with the robot apocalypse. It's kind of like a very long summary, if you will. And so, since every chapter is a different story, each with it's own character, then there is a different protagonist in every chapter, making it a little difficult to write this summary. Fortunately, I figured I could focus on just one character in just one chapter. So that's what I did. And that one character is named Mr. Nomura.
So far in my book, every chapter is a story from the apocalypse, starting at the very beginning and continuing on in chronological order. Pretty much what's going on is that robots that people own and robots made for jobs are all going haywire. I chose the character Mr. Nomura for this reading response. Mr. Nomura is an old man who works in a robot repair/programming factory. He is a sad looking man who keeps to himself and acts very lonely. Luckily, he has a wife. Well, a robot wife that is. It's freaky, I know. He even built and programmed it himself, so it would be the perfect and obedient wife for him, and he made sure it wouldn't go haywire (spoiler alert: it did). It went haywire after two teenagers that work with him played a prank on him through his robot wife, and it all went terribly wrong. It ended with Mr. Nomura almost being strangled to death, but that's a whole other story. Let me elaborate more on Mr. Nomura.
Honestly, actually, I have already elaborated as much I can on Mr. Nomura. I mean, I only have 1 chapter to get to know him by. So I think I'll just end the elaborations here.
I chose Mr. Nomura as a good character because what happened to him and who he is is a great example of this apocalypse. He is an innocent old man who does nothing but help robots, and he even built himself a robot wife very carefully so she never went haywire. But this apocalypse is serious, and this situation really surfaced that. Mr. Nomura's robot wife that was nothing but obedient and caring just lost it one day and tried strangling Mr. Nomura to death. You can tell just from this little tidbit that this robot apocalypse is worse than anyone could imagine. If a self programmed robot is dangerous, then how dangerous are the automatically programmed ones? Is anyone really safe?
This book seems... well confusing. But it seems like you're enjoying it. You did a good job of elaborating on Mr. Nomura, although some things were hard to understand and could have been elaborated on a bit more, just as an explanation for those who haven't read the book.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, i would never read this book becuase it's not the kind of books i would read. but, it sounds very interesting how the book is written. i agree with Lily that you did a very good job explaining Mr. Nomura. i also like how you added some questions at the end.
ReplyDelete