Sunday, March 9, 2014

NF Reading Response: Will You Be Paid in Bitcoin?

Money has always interested me, and made me think. I mean, how can pieces of paper have so much value, and in ways, be the backbone of our entire planet? Maybe that's a hyperbole, but it doesn't change the fact that money plays huge roles in our lives. But now, there's a concept for a completely new type of currency world-wide! In the magazine, Upfront, I read the article Will You Be Paid in Bitcoin? (page 4) and was shocked by what I read. According to the text, currency could be changed for good.

According to the article, a new currency has been invented – a digital currency. "Bitcoin, the digital-only currency... is starting to gain traction around the world" (4). This is an amazing and much more modern form of currency, and I am amazed by how far technology has come. But I would think that digital money would be easier to counterfeit and more prone to inflation, but i was proved entirely incorrect by this article. Apparently, " The digital currency is less prone to inflation..." (4). This surprised me, since digital currency is not an actual object, not something you can literally touch and feel. Nonetheless, "A growing number of online... businesses are accepting it" (4). I am still shocked by this because it is such a new concept, i feel that it should be tested before trusted.

In conclusion, this article kept me in awe, as well as keeping me thinking. I think that when something is digital, it is easier to duplicate or transform it into something it is not. However, a lot of big businesses seem to think otherwise. I myself would not want to keep all of my earnings on a beta version of something that could crash or get lost.  But who knows, maybe this new discovery will set the planet in a better place. I guess we'll just have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment