Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Wonderstuck - My Wonderful Summer Book

This summer I read the book Wonderstruck, by Brian Selznick along with a couple other books. Brian Selznick also wrote The Great Invention Of Hugo Cabret, the first book in the series. (The two books have nothing in common, so it really doesn't matter what order you read them in) Let me first say that I totally recommend this book if you're looking for an enjoyable and moving read. You can get it here if you're interested! Now, on to my review.

Wonderstruck was an awe-inspiring book, in the way that two stories were being told at once, and I never got lost. I really loved the fact that two plot lines were hapening simultaneously. Might I add that one story was told in words, and the other in pictures? Yeah, that made it even better. In fact, at some points I felt like I knew the character being narrated by pictures better than I knew the one being narrated by words. By this, I mean that I feel that I know more what Rose, the one in the pictures, was feeling. The illustrations really helped, well, illustrate what Rose was doing and thinking. Almost as if you could put yourself in her shoes.

Furthermore, this book was a real page turner. There were several instances where I found myself, jaw dropped, wildy flipping the pages, making "aaah's" and "oooh's" and "no way's" and "GAAAH WHAT!?'s", all while clenching my face or my chair's arm rest.

So, in conclusion, I hope you could tell how much I enjoyed this book. For anyone that hasn't read it yet, you should. It's interesting and moving, and you might even find yourself on the verge of tears for many different reasons. I don't want to give anything away, because I really hope you read it. Well, that about wraps it up. I hope you found this review helpful!

3 comments:

  1. What is the plot of both of the stories? Are the connected or completely different? I like reading books with different multiple plot lines or narrators. How is the story written in pictures structured? I think you did a good job of explaining the different structure of this book and now I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you put your own tone to the response and what you thought. i will check this book out this year!What is the Climax of both stories?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to start of by saying that I like the template that you used. I really like moving books so will look into it for sure. What genre is it? I like the fact how you wrote the blog post as if you were talking to the reader. I also like your conclusion.

    ReplyDelete